Sutton Laurence King Lawyers and its related companies (referred to in this document as we, us or our) recognise that your privacy is important and we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect from you. The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), Australian Privacy Principles and registered privacy codes govern the way in which we must manage your personal information. This policy sets out how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise manage your personal information.
Types of information collected
We may collect and hold personal information about you, that is, information that can identify you, and is relevant to providing you with the services you are seeking. The kinds of information we typically collect include name, gender, address, phone number, facsimile number, email address, bank account details, place and type of business and/or other information relevant to providing you with the services you are, or someone else you know is, seeking.
If you apply for services from us, we may also collect and hold various information related to you and your financial position, including credit information or credit eligibility information about you.
Method of collection
Personal information will generally be collected directly from you through the use of any of our standard forms, over the internet, via email, or through a telephone conversation with you. We may also collect personal information about you from third parties acting on your behalf (for instance, dealers, brokers or financial advisors).
There may, however, be some instances where personal information about you will be collected indirectly because it is unreasonable or impractical to collect personal information directly from you. We will usually notify you about these instances in advance, or where that is not possible, as soon as reasonably practicable after the information has been collected.
Purpose of collection
The personal information that we collect and hold about you, depends on your interaction with us. Generally, we collect, use and hold your personal information for the purposes of:
- providing legal services to you or someone else you know
- providing you with information about other services that we offer that may be of interest to you
- providing you with information relevant to your type of business or other area of expertise or interest
- providing you with the opportunity to meet other people and attend seminars and conferences in your type of business, or other areas of expertise or interest
- facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements
- analysing our services and customer needs with a view to improving those services, and
- contacting you to provide a testimonial for us.
Failure to provide information
If the personal information you provide to us is incomplete or inaccurate, we may be unable to provide you, or someone else you know, with the services you, or they, are seeking.
If you access our website, we may collect additional personal information about you in the form of your IP address or domain name. Our website may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of linked websites and any linked websites are not subject to our privacy policies and procedures.
Generally, we only use or disclose personal information about you for the purposes for which it was collected (as set out above). We may disclose personal information about you to:
- our related entities to facilitate our and their internal business processes
- a purchaser of the assets and operations of our business, provided those assets and operations are purchased as a going concern, and
- our related entities and other organisations with whom we have affiliations so that those organisations may provide you with information about services and various promotions.
In some circumstances, the law may permit or require us to use or disclose personal information for other purposes (for instance where you would reasonably expect us to and the purpose is related to the purpose of collection).
We store your personal information in different ways, including in paper and in electronic form. The security of your personal information is important to us. We take reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is stored safely to protect it from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including electronic and physical security measures.